ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators (Bi-national standard with CSA B44-10) American Society of Mechanical Engineers / 30-Dec-2010 / 544 pages, asme a17.1 pdf, asme a17.1 csa b44, asme a17.1 csa b44, asme a17.1 section 2.27
1.1 Equipment Covered by This Code, ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
This Code covers the design, construction, operation,inspection, testing, maintenance, alteration, and repair of the following equipment and its associated parts,rooms, spaces, and hoistways, where located in or adjacent to a building or structure (see 1.2):
– hoisting and lowering mechanisms, equipped with a car, that move between two or more landings.This equipment includes, but is not limited to elevators (see 1.3).
– power-driven stairways and walkways for carrying persons between landings. This equipment includes, but is not limited to escalators and moving walks (see 1.3).
– hoisting and lowering mechanisms equipped with a car that serves two or more landings and is restricted to the carrying of material by its limited size or limited access to the car. This equipment includes, but is not limited to dumbwaiters and material lifts (see 1.3). ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
1.2 Equipment Not Covered by This Code Equipment not covered by this Code includes, but is not limited to, the following:
– personnel hoists within the scope of ANSI A10.4 and CSA-Z185
– material hoists within the scope of ANSI A10.5 and CSA-Z256
– platform lifts and stairway chairlifts within the scope of ASME A18.1, CSA B355, and CSA B613
– manlifts within the scope of ASME A90.1 and CSA B311, and in jurisdictions enforcing NBCC Special Purpose Personnel Elevators (ASME A17.1, Section 5.7)
– mobile scaffolds and towers; platforms within the scope of ANSI/SIA A92 and CSA-B354
– powered platform and equipment for exterior and interior building maintenance within the scope of ASME A120.1 and CSA-Z271
– cranes, derricks, hoists, hooks, jacks, and slings within the scope of ASME B30, CSA Z150, CSA B167,CSA Z202, and CSA Z248
– industrial trucks within the scope of ASME B56 and CSA B335
– portable equipment, except for portable escalators,that are covered by 6.1
– tiering or piling machines used to move material to and from storage located and operating entirely within one story
– equipment for feeding or positioning material at machine tools, printing presses, etc.
– skip or furnace hoists
– wharf ramps
– amusement devices
– stage and orchestra lifts
– lift bridges
– railroad car lifts and dumpers
– mechanized parking garage equipment
– line jacks, false cars, shafters, moving platforms,and similar equipment used for installing an elevator
– platform-type elevators installed on board a marine vessel
1.3 Application of Parts, ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
This Code applies to new installations only, except Part 1, and 5.10, 8.1, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, 8.10, and 8.11, that apply to both new and existing installations.
1.4 Effective Date, ASME A17.1 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
The requirements of this edition and subsequent addenda to the Code are effective as of the date noted on the Summary of Changes page of this document. The authority having jurisdiction will establish the effective date for their local regulations.